Monday, January 6, 2014

Episode 1: I survived, but not everyone got a rose.

So I did it. I watched an episode of the Bachelor. 

My first reaction is: where are the average girls? Every single girl they showed was skinny and would be classified as the 'pretty' girl. Where are the normal looking contestants? You know, the ones who are larger than a size four, maybe wear glasses and don't walk around with the majority of their body hanging out on a daily basis. Why wouldn't an average girl be worthy of the muscley, handsome Juan Pablo? Are you telling me I'm not good enough, ABC? Clearly brains do not count during the casting process. It is sad that after 19 seasons they don't have even one regular girl in the cast (or bachelor for that matter- not all girls are looking for rock hard abs and perfectly white teeth).

I feel like there are only two options for girls that want to be on a dating show- you're either the 'pretty' girl, or you are on a plus size dating show. There is no middle ground- and that needs to change.

Secondly, I wondered how many of these girls would date a guy with a child if they weren't on a TV show? Honestly, how many 23 year old girls do you think would aggressively pursue and then date a 32 year old man with a 4 year old daughter? My guess is not many. And how in the world would this guy know after a few weeks in a very strange environment that a woman is ready to be a step mother to his beloved daughter? Can you really propose to someone you have only known a few weeks without even seeing how they fit into your family?

Anyway.... after a few clown-car limos produced 27 girls in sparkly dresses and 27 awkward introductions with Juan, we finally make it inside the house. The house where these girls will live together, watch each other all date the same man and try to stay sane.  It didn't take long for some girls to begin freaking out because they didn't get their one-on-one time with JP yet. One girl in particular can't stop crying- and shares why. Just a few short months ago her fiance called her and abruptly broke it off. Her bio piece shows her looking sadly at her wedding gown and engagement ring, then staring at the sky. She finally pulls herself together to chat with JP and once again shares all that- and you could see the fear in his eyes. I mean really, if just a few short months ago you were ready to walk down the aisle with someone, how could you possibly be ready to not only start a new relationship, but battle with 26 other ladies on TV. Yeah, she didn't get a rose.

My favorite part (the runner up moment was when JP called Kat to come get a rose and some other girl with a K name started walking up with a giant smile on her face- only to be told that he called Kat, not her. She got sent home. Awkward!) was with the Opera singer. As Opera and JP were having some alone time, you could sense the unease between them- they just didn't seem to click.  Juan looked pretty into it, even giving her his jacket to keep her warm. Before entering the house JP was given a 'First Impression' rose to give to the girl who..... made the best first impression. Surprisingly, JP excused himself for a minute and ran into the house to get the rose- at the same time that Opera was telling the camera that she was disappointed because she felt no chemistry with Juan and just didn't feel anything. Fast forward a minute to JP offering her the rose.... which for a minute I thought she was going to turn down! Any other girl would have jumped on top of him and then flaunted it to the others. Instead she paused, said 'uh, okay', took the rose and gave a weird half hug-almost cheek kiss. She then told the camera that she was shocked he gave her the rose because she felt nothing and hope that she will given some time. Poor JP.

Then the rose ceremony, which to my great relief, sent more than one girl home. I'm not sure exactly how many girls were sent packing, but enough for me to be thankful that I won't have to sit through 26 more episodes of this.

I'll give this to the producers- that reel they showed at the end of the show highlighting the season was pretty epic. How could you not watch the show after watching some girl have a total breakdown on the bathroom floor, finally yelling you 'I hope you DIE Juan Pablo!' Restraining order anyone? I will say that I'm curious to watch some of the Bachelorette to see how the guys behave on the first day.

So one episode down and it's pretty much what I expected: a show that reminds me why I don't have many girlfriends, what is wrong with society and why I want to raise my kids on a farm away from this insanity. 

Did you watch? What did you think? Does this compare to other first episodes of the Bachelor? Weigh in below!


No comments:

Post a Comment