Sunday, February 23, 2014

Why I Relay For Life & A Cure


Like many others, I grew up idolizing the people society told me to. New Kids on the Block, Michael Jackson, the cast of Saved By the Bell, Cindy Crawford. The list goes on and on. These are the people I sang along to on the radio, saw in print ads in a magazine or watched on TV. You wanted to be just like them. I didn't know any better.

Five years ago my life was changed when I found out my aunt was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer- and the prognosis wasn't good. As our family started on the cancer journey my perspective on a lot of things quickly changed. Beyond living in the moment, having no regrets and living every day like it's your last- I learned who the real heroes are.

 It's not people who pretend to be others for a living (not that I don't appreciate the talent), or sing songs about excess, whores and drugs. It's the people who go to work every day researching a cure for cancer, or diabetes, or Parkinsons. It's the caregivers who put their lives on hold to care for loved ones. It's the doctors and nurses who work an unspeakable amount of hours to give the best care possible. Yet, where are the award shows and gigantic paychecks for those people?

We spend hours upon hours watching the Oscars and everything that goes with it (pre-Oscars, red carpet, Fashion Police, etc). We know the designers that were represented, who gave the best thank you speech, who got snubbed.

Society has made the Kardashian family, as much as it pains me to say this, billionaires, all because Kim made a sex tape with a D-list celebrity.

It's time for us as a society to stop idolizing these people, and instead start idolizing the people who work to make a difference in the world. We need to be talking about those who make world-changing contributions to society- not just for someone who sang a catchy song. Kids should know their names and aspire to be like them when they grow up.

If it wasn't for great doctors and new medial treatment discoveries, my aunt wouldn't still be here. Because of the hard, tireless work of these researchers, she has lived years beyond her initial prognosis. That is why participating in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life is so important for me. The money my team and I raise go towards research, wigs for cancer patients, stays at the Hope House for families and so much more. I have seen this money be used to make a positive impact on loved ones undergoing cancer treatment, so I know first hand why it is so important.

Last year my Relay for Life team, Team Lovestruck, raised over $5,000! We surpassed our goal from the amazing support of our family, friends and even strangers. This year we have set our team goal for $6,000, but we can't get there alone. Take a minute to visit my relay page to see how donations are put to work and how the American Cancer Society is working to make more birthdays.

Inspired? Donate today or contact your local chapter of the American Cancer Society and sign up for a Relay for Life near you! http://main.acsevents.org/goto/stefanieiennaco




No comments:

Post a Comment